Date: May 17, 2018
Location: Primitive Gatherings, Murrieta, CA Time: 6:30 PM
Attendees: 9 Members, 3 Guests
Board Members Present: Jessica Rittgarn, Vice President of Meetings; Taylor Darby, Secretary; Angelica Jones, Vice President of Social Media
Board Member Absent: Jan Prytz, President; Madelynn MacRunnel, Treasurer; Susan Long, Vice President of Charity Projects
1. Jessica Rittgarn, Vice President of Meetings, informed the group of the following:
a. We spoke about volunteering to head up the QuiltCon charity quilt project.
i. Nobody volunteered
ii. We still need someone to:
1. Design the pattern
2. Source the fabric
3. Organize sew-ins
4. Follow through with finishing the quilt by January
b. We spoke about continuing with individuals choosing their own BOM design or going with the BOM design on the MQG website.
i. We decided to stick with individuals choosing their own designs, and default to the MQG website if needed.
2. Treasurer’s Report: The treasurer was not present.
3. Raffle Ticket WINNERS:
a. Sherry Gilmartin – 5 Primitive Gathering fat quarters
b. Sue Gillespie – Primitve Gathering Gift Card
c. Jessica Rittgarn – Sewing Machine socks
Attendees sharing items - All beautiful and creative projects shared! The group enjoyed seeing all them too! See the TVMQG Blog posting for pictures.
1. Nancy shared one of the charity quilt tops she put together. She also shared two blue and grey quilts she made using Moda solids. She experimented with different quilting patterns.
2. Sherry shared some zipper bags she made in all different designs, fabrics, and patterns.
3. Taylor shared a cell quilt she made for an extra credit assignment for her Molecular Cell Biology class.
4. Susanne shared the charity quilt top she put together. She also shared a yellow and grey wall hanging she made. She also shared an old queen-sized postage stamp quilt she got from a friend.
5. Sue shared a quilt she made from an Angela Walters challenge. Each block was a different method of quilting.
6. Manon shared a purple quilt she made with large petals on it and a runner she made as a show piece for APQS.
7. Linda shared two “two-fabric applique” wall hanging she made using Nancy Chong patterns distributed by Pacific Rim Quilt Company.
8. Wendy shared knows someone who dyes wool using Kool-aid. She tried it herself and shared the recipe:
a. Boil 4 cups water and 6 tbsp vinegar
b. Add and dissolve 3 packets of Kool-Aid
c. Turn off stove
d. Add fabric and wait 20 min
e. Rinse with cold water and heat set (iron or dryer)
1. BOM is called “card trick”: See the TVMQG Blog for the pattern.
a. ACTION ITEM: All members are requested to bring in the “card trick” BOM for next month’s meeting.
NOTE: The block can be made in any fabric color desired. The instructions are on the TVMQG Blog. Block needs to be completed to measure 12.5".
1. All our charity quilt tops are due at our June meeting.
2. Maritza will be demonstrating free-motion quilting at our June meeting.
3. Our July meeting will be our jelly roll race.
4. The charm pack challenge is due at our September meeting.