Date: February 15, 2018
Location: Primitive Gatherings, Murrieta, CA Time: 6:30 PM
Attendees: 17 Members, 0 Guests
Board Members Present: Jan Prytz, President; Jessica Rittgarn, Vice President; Taylor Darby, Secretary; Madelynn MacRunnel, Treasurer; Susan Long, Charity Quilts
Board Member Absent: Angelica Jones, Social Media
1. Jan Prytz, the President, informed the group of the following:
a. A year-end drawing for a 2019 TVMQG membership will be held at our Christmas Party. Everyone who does a “BOM” presentation or “how-to” presentation at a meeting in 2018 will be in the drawing.
b. Shared an idea for stretching the charity blocks to make 10 quilts instead of only five quilts: showed an example of an asymmetric border around fewer blocks, and/or Jan could cut kits and hand out kits to members to help assemble quilts.
2. Paint Chip Challenge Show and Tell:
a. Jan shared an arrow quilt she made. She was inspired by a quilt she saw at QuiltCon a few years ago.
b. Madelynn shared some blocks she made using a pattern Judy shared.
c. Jessica shared a quilt she made using a modified churndash pattern she found.
d. Jane shared a couch quilt she made with a 60˚ triangle and Imperial fabric.
e. Susan shared a wall quilt she made. She was inspired by a photo of some grain silos she found on Instagram. She actually had to use math when planning out her design!
f. Maritza made two mats using a Whirlpool Accuquilt pattern. She did some experimenting with the quilting pattern, and was successful!
3. Raffle Ticket WINNERS -
Attendees sharing items - All beautiful and creative projects shared! The group enjoyed seeing all them too! See the TVMQG Blog posting for pictures.
1. Jan shared two quilts to show idea for stretching our charity blocks from five quilts to 10 quilts.
2. Maritza shared a whole cloth quilt she made using navy blue fabric and a light colored thread for the quilting.
3. Nancy shared some hand embroidery she did using off-white fabric and red thread. She made three pieces using snowman designs and one piece using a bunny design.
4. Patricia shared two Frida purses and a cosmetic bag she made.
5. Wendy shared an oversized bag she made from blue and white floral fabric.
6. Sherry made to small quilts under Wendy’s instruction. She’s learning to quilt.
7. Linda attended the Beautiful Background Fillers, Narrow Borders, and Backgrounds classes by Margaret Solomon-Gunn and brought in her finished products from the classes.
8. Susan Long shared a mug rug she made from the scraps she collected when making her microwave bowls.
1. BOM is arrows, inspiration for the "Giving Quilt" presented by Jan Prytz. Jan informed us the pattern will make a weird shape at one point, but this is normal. See the TVMQG Blog for the pattern.
a. ACTION ITEM: All members and guests are asked to consider completing a block and bring it to the March meeting.
2. Microwave bowl – Susan long showed us how to make microwave bowl using a pattern from Linds Mayland (@lindsmayland). Soup Bowl Cozy Pattern can also be found at Happy Hour Stitches
NOTE: The block can be made in any fabric color desired. The instructions are on the TVMQG Blog. Block needs to be completed to measure 12.5".
1. Colleen will be doing the BOM presentation for the March meeting
2. March meeting will be held on the 15th at Primitive Gatherings. Bring your catchup BOMs, your February BOM, your fabric strips, rope (unless Susan is buying your rope), and your machine for the rope bowl demo.