Date: April 20, 2017
Location: Primitive Gatherings, Murrieta, CA Time: 6:30 PM
Attendees: 12 Members, 2 Guests
Board Members Present: Jessica Rittgarn, Maritza Farr, Colleen Molen, Susan Long, Angelica Jones
Board Member Absent: Jan Prytz
1. Jessica Rittgarn, the Vice President conducted the meeting in Jan's absence and informed the group of the following:
a. Raffle ticket process - raffle tickets will be given for attending meeting, turning in a charity block, and show and tell participation.
b. Meeting will consist of the BOM, Demo Rope Basket, and Show and Tell.
2. Raffle Ticket WINNERS - Hoffman Fabric - Linda, Primitive Gatherings Gift Card - Angelica, MQG Water Bottle and Fabric - Madelyn. Congratulations ladies!
3. FACEBOOK (FB) - reminder to all to use the Group page on FB and not the page that you "Like".
4. Susan Long posed the question - "How small or big should a scrap be to be considered useful?" After some discussion, it was decided that it depends on the sewist!
5. TVMQG needs to locate space for our Saturday charity quilt sewing. Requesting group members reach out to their churches, etc. Space would be needed about once every other month for a Saturday from 10-4pm, for approximately 10 sewing machines.
Name/ Description of Shared Item - All beautiful and creative projects shared! The group enjoyed seeing all them too!
1. Linda Bretton - won the 10" layer cake at the last meeting and put together a top with her win!
2. Angelica Jones - shared her quilt she won on an Instagram giveaway. Beautiful workmanship was admired by all.
3. Susan Long - made a mug rug which she embellished with 3 strands of embroidery floss. Lovely details. Susan shared handwork is hard on the hands and probably won't be embellishing this way in the future. Susan also made a needle wool book (clever) as well as a pincushion. She used sand to fill the pincushion which she prefers over walnut shells.
4. Colleen Molen - shared 2 mini quilts. One she made (Postage Stamp Quilt) and the other she received during a swap (Hurray for Rain).
5. Patti Zimmerman - shared 3 projects. She made a tote. Sadly the tote was needed because her tote was stolen. A baby quilt made from Primitive Gatherings fabric she purchased; and a wonky star quilt using her batiks stash.
6. Judy Neilio - used Room and Board pattern to create her blocks. She has recently gotten back to sewing, which has been rewarding.
7. Natalie Pollard - reported she had not been in her sewing room for 2 months! Put together a clutch/wallet with a kit purchased at Road to California in January 2017.
8. Nancy Thomas - Made a Missouri Star quilt YouTube project.
9. Maritza Farr - shared a wall hanging made using the January 2017 MQG block of the month she designed, and a quilt she designed using a purchased panel from Road to California, January 2017.
10. Jessica Rittgarn - shared her Flying Geese quilt using solids, and a Tulip design wall hanging she put in her office. The decor was a hit in her office too!
1. Colleen Molen presented the Double Pinwheel BOM pattern to be finished and brought to the May 18th meeting. You can make one 12.5" block or put together four 6.5" blocks. Colleen also demonstrated how to use the Bloc-Loc ruler.
a. ACTION ITEM: All members and guests are asked to consider completing a block and bring it to the May meeting.
2. Colleen Molen demonstrated how to sew rope bowls, adding fabric strips, adding handles, and how to determine size and shape. She also demonstrated how to create coasters using the same technique. Used cotton clothes line that is available at Home Depot, Joanns, and Amazon. She uses the 3/8" size, but can use 1/4" or 3/16" sizes too. Colleen uses a zig zag stitch, but to start uses a straight stitch in a star design to anchor the starting circle wrap. The group was intrigued with this project and it was enjoyed by everyone.
Third Thursday of the month at 6:30 pm - Next meeting is May 18th. Board Meeting will be May 4th at Panera in Murrieta.
At the May 18th meeting be ready to show off your Solids Challenge Quilt (lap size or larger).
Natalie Pollard is bringing her AccuQuilt and dies so group can experiment using it. Please bring your own fabrics to try dies.
NOTE: The block can be made in any fabric color desired, but with a low volume background fabric. The instructions are on the TVMQG Blog. Block needs to be completed to measure 12.5".
May - Natalie
June - Maritza