Meeting Information -Monthly Meeting
Date: November 16, 2017
Location: Primitive Gatherings, Murrieta, CA Time: 6:30 PM
Attendees: 12 Members, 7 Guests
Board Members Present: Jan Prytz, Maritza Farr, Colleen Molen, Angelica Jones, Jessica Rittgarn, Susan Long
Board Member Absent:
- Jan Prytz, the President, informed the group of the following:
- MQG has sent several emails reminding members that they must claim their free four-day pass for QuiltCon 2018 before November 30th. After November 30th, members must pay for day show tickets or four-day passes. Member discounts on workshops and lectures also expire on this date. There are still open seats in several classes - check the MQG site - link in Community. Deadline for entries is also November 30th. Learn how to submit and details at quiltconentry.com
- Next meeting is our Christmas Party. It will be at Primitive Gatherings on December 21. Bring finger foods for our "lite" potluck. Jessica will be conducting an ice breaker too. Please bring a mug with a mug rug for a brown bag gift exchange. Gifts will be passed around like last time. Blind swap!
- TVMQG has already registered with MQG that we are participating in the QuiltCon Charity Quilt.
- Board member elections - two new Board members voted in - Treasurer Madelyn MacRunnel; and Secretary Taylor Darby. Continuing in office are Jan Prytz, President; and Vice-President Jessica Rittgarn. Committee Chairs are Angelica Jone, Social; and Susan Long, Charity Quilts.
- Treasurer's Report - General Fund $824.31 and Charity Quilt Fund $106.
- QuiltCon Charity Quilt Sew Day - will be December 2 at Colleen's home. Nancy Thomas volunteered to quilt the quilt top once completed. Susan Long volunteered to machine bind the quilt. Colleen will be sending an email approximately one week prior with details for the Sew Day.
- Paint Chip Challenge - See rules posted on the TVMQG blog. Members who had not selected paint chips last month were given an opportunity to select paint chips to draw - could pick 2 or 3; can add another color; can add a neutral. Can be prints or solids. Projects can be anything quilted. Projects are due February 2018.
- Pincushion Swap - two members participated and exchanged pincushions (Patricia and Jessica).
- Raffle Ticket WINNERS -
Fat Quarters - Jessica
Primitive Gatherings Gift Card - Madelynn
Tote and Goodies - Patti
Show and Tell
Attendees sharing items - All beautiful and creative projects shared! The group enjoyed seeing all them too! See the TVMQG Blog posting for pictures.
- Maritza Farr - made two additional blocks for the original magazine photo challenge.
- Angelica Jones - shared mug rugs she is making for someone's Christmas presents.
- Nancy DiLeva - shared a baby vintage quilt with embroidery, pintucks, lace, etc.
- Nancy Thomas - shared a quilt that won second place in the North Dakota Quilt Guild show. Also shared a quilt top completed from a kit - red, white and blue for her daughter who is in the Navy.
- Colleen Molen - went to Oregon last weekend to quilt and shared a Cotton + Steel Flying Geese Quilt top.
- Jessica Rittgarn - used a pattern from Primitive Gatherings to make a snowman for Christmas wall decor.
- Patti Zimmerman - wore a quilted jacket made using a See N Sew pattern and Treasure Hunt fabric from Primitive Gatherings. Also, shared pillow covers and paper pieced triangles. (Jan will send link to the paper pieced triangles blog.)
- Susan Long - shared her magazine challenge quilt inspired by a picture of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Picture was from the Costco magazine. Also shared two Christmas wall hangings she did as a pattern tester for Quilt Art. On the latter she used machine applique.
- Linda Bretton - she went to the Houston International Quilt Show. She also brought a quilt she made a few years ago - Garden Applique (needle turn).
- Bonnie Hallett - shared quilt she made in her Craftsy class.
- BOM "Kings Crown" presented by Judy Nielo. See the TVMQG Blog for the pattern.
- ACTION ITEM: All members and guests are asked to consider completing a block and bring it to the December meeting.
- How We Bind - Angelica, Colleen, Maritza and Jan shared how they bind their quilts. Each had a different approach.
- Fat Quarter Game - Jan explained the rules and attendees were broken up into two groups. Everyone enjoyed themselves - lots of laughter.
Upcoming Meeting and BOM presentations and BOM Construction requirements
NOTE: The block can be made in any fabric color desired, but with a low volume background fabric. The instructions are on the TVMQG Blog. Block needs to be completed to measure 12.5".
December Meeting - December 2, 6:30PM at Primitive Gatherings
Maritza - BOM
Christmas Party - bring finger foods